The Simple Guide To Spring Cleaning Your Closet In Just One Day

vsco-photo-1 (18)

Along with all the drool worthy spring items on our wishlist comes the thought of “I have no room left in my closet”! For fashion girls, there can be no bigger reality check than opening the doors to a less than lovely closet. Meaning, its time for a thorough spring cleaning. I cleaned out over 50+ items by asking myself some real questions. However, despite having to depart with some great items. Such as, the dress i wore everyday when i was pregnant, or that worn out sweater i used to sleep with ( true story!), i feel like i have so much more options now that i can see what i have in my closet. So here is my take on spring cleaning your closet the best and fastest way possible.

The Simple Guide To Spring Cleaning Your Closet In Just One Day

Step One: Take everything out of your closet

After you turn up the music, do the fun part of this process – Dump everything on to the floor or bed. Your Closet should be empty with only the good hangers left. ( great time to throw out all wire and broken hangers which don’t belong in your closet) Moreover, it wont hurt to take some Mr. Clean and wipe the inside of your closet, you are going to be surprised at how much dust lingers there.

Step Two: Organize and Inspect

Once you have everything in sight, you can start categorizing and organizing. Begin by sorting items into three piles: keep, store, and say goodbye. Try on items you are unsure of and put away clothes that need some fixing like a missing button or a lose hem. Store away all things from the past season, including bulky coats and chunky knit sweater, keep just a few for in between season. Keep only items that are not ripped, stained and that you have worn in the past year. Say goodbye to the items that have served you well or that can be replaced with something better

Step Three: Follow the “One Year Rule”

An old piece but a great one? if you have not worn it the past year what makes you think you will wear it now? Be brutally honest with yourself about what you wear, what you don’t and what you wear but maybe don’t like very much. Most of the time reality kicks in and it’s time to let go. You will surprised at how many pieces you will find on that goodbye pile.

Step Four: Invest in some organizational pieces

To avoid future mayhem madness invest in some closet organizers. Get rid of those mismatched wire and plastic hangers and upgrade to a set of wood or cloth hangers to give your closet an instant lift. In addition, I also love this handbag divider, which lets you see your collection without having it all over the place.  Shoe-boxes, labeled storage boxes and a shoe-rack will make your life a lot easier.

Step Five: Organize By Color Or Type

Once you’ve sorted through everything and determined which items you’ll be getting rid of, organize the remaning clothing in your wardrobe by color or type, depending on whether its a skirt, dress or top. Next time, when you get dressed in the morning and you need to match a skirt you just look through the skirt section and see all your options right there, instead of having to filter through your entire closet.

Final Step: Donate, Sell or Trash

Don’t just throw out your goodbye pile. Divide that pile into three categories: Donate, Sell, and Trash. Trash only items that are damaged or really worn out. Make someone else happy with your favorite skirt dated back to 2009 by adding it to the donate pile. Clothing drive centers sometimes have a pick up service which will save you an extra trip. There are many ways to sell your clothing. I opened a Poshmark account which has a great an easy setup. Join me on Poshmark and sign up with code JNLIL to save $5: https://bnc.lt/focc/GsjYrav3UB
Additionaly, you can also setup an Instagram shop account like this one just for all your closet items you would like to sell with pictures of each item.

And you are done! I can vouch for how easy and productive it feels and how much more space you will have now. What’s your strategy to manage annual spring cleaning?  I would love to hear your tips and tricks on tackling this sometimes dreadful yet extremly neccessary task.

XX toby

spring cleaning (2)

1. March 29, 2017 / 2:24 pm

This has been on my to do list for a while now! These are great tips! I love the one year rule… although it might be a little hard for me since I was pregnant all last year and didn’t wear most of my clothes haha.

2. March 29, 2017 / 2:36 pm

I’ve really been feeling the itch to spring clean my closet again. I did a little right after having a baby but now that I’m 8 months out I really know what I wear and don’t wear.

3. March 29, 2017 / 3:01 pm

I’ve been meaning to do this! I think this blog was a sign! lol.. Thanks 🙂

4. March 29, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Great guide!!! I need to do this since I have been buying new clothes this last few weeks. Love your blog btw!

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:42 pm

Awww thanks linette! Hugs x

5. March 29, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Oh Man. This is something I have been putting off. I keep using the excuse that its still pretty cold out in order to delay the inevitable switch. I have SO much clothing I need to donate and trash, but sometimes it’s hard for me to let go. Thanks for this useful post. I am going to get on this over the weekend. I was also unaware of selling on poshmark and instagram. I will definitely look into that. This helped me breathe a little. 🙂

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:41 pm

It’s a big task to tackle but I promise it’s worth it. A wardrobe that’s organized means an organized life I feel like. Also saves you so much to getting dressed in the morning. Yes definitely sell online it’s a great option

6. March 29, 2017 / 7:51 pm

I seriously desperately need to follow all of these points. My wardrobe has seriously like…doubled over the past year. It’s getting out of control, yikes! Thanks for the tips!

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:40 pm

Your welcome! Thanks for reading hugs, toby

7. March 29, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Great read! I need to do a little cleaning in my closet too, ugh! I am always dreading it, but your tips are great!

8. March 29, 2017 / 10:40 pm

These are great tips for organizing the closet. I need to get my husband to do it as well… I feel like 90% of the closet is full of his stuff.

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:40 pm

Really?! Usually it’s the opposite. I feel like men don’t get attached to clothing like women do. It’s easier for them to just chuck things out once used

9. March 30, 2017 / 12:27 am

This sounds like exactly what I do. It makes life so much easier when closets are organised. 🙂 I try to do everyone’s closet at the end of every season.

10. March 30, 2017 / 1:31 am

I need to do this. I have such a hard time giving up seasonal pieces because I have no clue if I will wear them the next season or not! This may have just inspired me…

xx, Tessa

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:39 pm

I am so happy I can be of help! It’s a great feeling once done!

11. March 30, 2017 / 3:20 am

Much needed information right now! Spring cleaning is underway!

12. March 30, 2017 / 11:30 am

Oh my goodness, I do this every year and my husband thinks I’m mad! It’s such a great way to start the season fresh. Great post!

Emily B. | thetravelingblonde.com

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:38 pm

My husband loves it, since it means more place for his stuff lol

13. March 30, 2017 / 12:55 pm

These are great tips. Organizational items are important to have to keep everything in place. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, J

14. March 30, 2017 / 1:27 pm

Fab info and also… that dress and those shoes!!!! How can I get both in my life?!

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:37 pm

Shoes are available at Zara. Go get them xx

15. March 30, 2017 / 1:32 pm

I cleaned up my closet last summer and I managed to not buy new stuff yet. I did get a shirt as a gift so donated another one I had instead, to keep the numbers even 🙂

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 1:37 pm

Haha that’s called balancing! I love it! Thanks for reading xx toby

16. March 30, 2017 / 1:33 pm

I SO need to clean out my closet. It is a wreck. I just keep putting it off because it will be a big job. I like your idea to open a Postmark account!

17. March 30, 2017 / 1:47 pm

I love this!! <3
    I have gotten into the habit of going through our closet every fall & spring & removing anything we didn't wear in the season that just ended. I have a huge donation pile (or two or 3) that keeps growing as I move through our house doing spring cleaning. Hopefully, I will be done by this Sunday so we can donate it all & I won't have a house that looks chaotic. Which seems crazy since I've been spring cleaning. Ha! 🙂
    Thank you for sharing your tips!

• Toby
      March 30, 2017 / 3:13 pm

Haha your awesome! I should do the same I only do it once a year.

18. March 30, 2017 / 7:11 pm

I’m a major fan of emptying out the closet Love your tips I j ust might do this over the weekend

19. March 30, 2017 / 8:38 pm

I totally need to do this!! Such good tips too!

20. March 31, 2017 / 12:08 am

We just moved into our new house in January. We have SO MUCH MORE closet space here than in our old house. So how is it after 2 moves in less than a year, at least three ‘clean outs’ and more closet space, it is STILL junky? So overwhelming! This is some great advice though. If anything it’s inspiration! I’ve gained a lot of weight since I had my son so a lot of my clothes are frumpy tshirts that were given to me by my parents (think 2 and 3x sizes) I don’t FEEL that huge but then I see pictures! I’m trying to change that and start by ditching all my ‘sloppy housewife’ outfits (okay almost all). Thanks for the tips!

21. March 31, 2017 / 2:06 am

This guide is just the motivation I needed to begin cleaning my closet! I’ll definitely be utilizing your tips.

Xoxo,